I was recently reading a blog posted by business strategist John Spence that talked about how companies attract top talent. Of course he was referring to talent for many different positions, but I thought the same company attributes would attract top sales talent as well. He listed the following
- Fair Pay. Being paid approximately the same for the same job or work at other companies.
- Challenging work. Top performers want work that engages them and uses their skill sets.
- “Cool Colleagues”. Like top athletes, top performers want to play on teams with others of similar caliber.
- Winning Culture. Places where people enjoy their “working” time about as much as their non-work time.
- Personal Growth. Companies with opportunities for advancement and continued success.
- A Boss they Respect and Admire. This was on the top of many lists.
So if you are a company looking to hire top sales people, keep these characteristics in mind. And if you are a Sales Manager in one of these companies, your role is doubly important in earning and keeping the respect and admiration of your people.